Saturday, March 22, 2008

P-shawl!


The title is a reference to a phrase Ashley has taken up. It's supposed to be "pshaw" but she read it rather than heard it, so she says it "pee-shaw" which we think is adorable!

I made myself a shawl with Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande Paint. It's the most expensive thing I've ever made or probably that I own! I did it in a garter stitch on size 19 bamboo needles, starting with three stitches and increasing with a yo on the next to the first and last stitch of every other row, then triple crocheting a ruffle around the edge in a solid moss green from the colorway. It's the perfect size, and so snuggly! I did NOT enjoy knitting with this yarn, although I thought I would. It's very hairy and separated, and I gauged with it on several needles and in several patterns until I decided to go simple and monotonous. I wanted something cuddly and warm that I could throw over my shoulders when I knit or read. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I'm extremely cold natured and I'm always freezing, except in summer when I am chilled.

When I bought the moss skeins today at Twisted Yarns, I also bought some sock yarn and I think that is going to be my next project. I have scoffed at sock knitters before, because socks are so cheap! But I hear how much fun they are to make, and there are so few options of things I can knit for Cary, so I'm going to give it a go. I have a set of #4 40" Addi turbo circulars and I bought a book called "2-at-a-time Socks". I have read the book and even cast on and knit a few rows of two socks, but I bought some double pointed needles today to try the traditional method also.

Penny has decided that knitting is not for her, so she is selling her machines and guess who is inheriting her stash!!! So I will soon be awash in cone yarn and I'm planning to begin an ambitious project to knit lap blankets for all the residents of a local nursing home. Stay tuned!

No comments: